Assc of Science, Liberal Arts

Assc of Science, Liberal Arts

Associate of Science

Credits Required for Graduation: 66.00

Program Overview

The Associate of Science transfer degree is a two-year liberal arts degree designed to provide the liberal arts foundation generally required for bachelor’s degrees at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse and many other four-year institutions.

PLEASE NOTE: In addition to the credits taken at Western, additional credits must be taken at another 4-year institution to complete the program. Please meet with your advisor to discuss your personal education plan.

  • Students on the ASLA track take credits to be transferred to another institution. The classes are specific, required courses that end in a liberal arts degree from Western. The ASLA degree is an associate of science degree with a math and science focus.
  • Students on the University Transfer (UT) track take credits to be transferred to another institution, but they do not earn a degree from Western.

Which Track is Right For Me?

For planning and registration purposes, it's important to know if yu are on the ASLA track or the University Transfer track. What's the difference? See below:

A.S.L.A. Degree Track University Transfer Track (UT)
You plan to graduate from Western with an Associate of Science degree that could include coursework from both Western and UW La Crosse. You plan to transfer courses to a university or technical college, but you are not interested in obtaining an Associate of Science degree from Western.
You are required to take specific courses, including a minimum of 20 to 25 ASLA math and science courses at Western. You may choose to take any courses which will transfer to your school of choice. It is your responsibility to verify that courses will transfer to your university.
Please see Western's Transfer Site for detailed information on transferring to different universities.
After successfully completing a minimum of eighteen credits at Western with a GPA of 3.4 or above, you could apply to UW-L as a special, non-degree seeking student and take some of your courses at UW-L. (These courses do not guarantee that you will be accepted as a transfer student at UW-L after completing Western's degree.) If you are interested in attending UW-L, you may apply to UW-L as any other transfer student would apply.
200-level courses are required to complete the degree. 200-level courses are highly recommended in order to fulfill general education courses that may be required at the transfer college or university. Again, it is your responsibility to verify that courses will transfer to your university.