Student Right to Know Act

Information Students Have A Right To Know

According to federal regulations, colleges and universities that administer federal Title IV funds must disclose certain information to prospective and enrolled students, parents and employees. The student consumer information includes:

  • Code of Conduct related to Student Loan Activities
  • Information about the school’s academic programs
  • Privacy of Student Records
  • Information on graduation and completion rates
  • Information about the school’s security policies and crime statistics report
  • Financial Assistance Information

We encourage you to view our profile on the National Center for Education Statistics for more details not included here. College Navigator: Western Technical College

Skip to:

Academic Programs

The following links are provided to assist prospective and enrolled students, parents and employees with consumer information regarding academic programs.


Western Technical College is accredited by the Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP), a component of the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (NCA). Various academic and other programs within the college are also accredited by specific accrediting bodies.

The Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604

Academic Degrees

Information about Western Technical College's Degree Programs can be found on our program pages.

Adaptive Educational Services

Information for disabilities, learning skills, tutoring and advising can be found on our disability services website.

Graduation and Completion Rates

The following links are provided to assist prospective and enrolled students, parents and employees with consumer information regarding graduation and completion rates and athletic information.

Privacy of Student Records

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Western Technical College staff is committed to abiding by the guidelines of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. FERPA stipulates that each college and university in the United States maintain the privacy of student records, notify students of the location of all official records kept by the college on students, and make adequate provisions for students to examine their own records upon formal request. Please contact the Registrar’s Office at (608) 785-9553 or check out Western’s FERPA webpage for additional information.

Directory Information

The college is authorized under provisions of FERPA to release directory information upon request unless a student explicitly asks the Office of the Registrar not to do so.

Western defines directory information as:

  • Name
  • City
  • State
  • Date of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Credit load
  • Previous colleges and schools attended
  • Program of study
  • Awards, honors, and degrees conferred including dates
  • Past and present participation in officially recognized sports and activities
  • Address (limited directory information only)
  • Phone (limited directory information only)

No other information may be released concerning a student without the written authorization of that student. This is an especially important issue affecting the request and release of a student's transcript. The Registrar’s Office, the official repository for student records, cannot prepare or release a transcript except by way of a student's signed request. Telephone requests and requests by other family members or friends cannot be honored. This is not just a Western Technical College policy, but a federal legislative provision enacted under FERPA.

Students can withhold directory information by submitting a Request To Withhold Directory Information to the Registrar’s Office. This request is valid until it is revoked in writing by the student.

Campus Security

The following links are provided to assist prospective and enrolled students, parents and employees with consumer information regarding campus security policies.

Financial Assistance Information

Financial Aid helps narrow the gap between your financial resources and your costs. Financial Aid is available from the federal government, state government and private sources.

  • Grants are awarded on the basis of financial need and/or a service. Grants do not have to be paid back.
  • Scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit and/or a talent and do not have to be paid back.
  • Work Study or Student Employment is awarded on the basis of financial need and is earned money that does not have to be paid back.
  • Loans are borrowed funds that must be paid back usually with interest.

Your first step is to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to apply early and meet the deadlines due to limitation and availability of funds.

Financial Aid Consumer Information

The following information is addressed in greater detail:

  • Financial Aid Newsletter
  • How to Apply for Financial Aid
  • Student Loan Center
    • Direct Student Loan Program
    • Parent Plus Loan
    • Exit Loan
    • Private Loan Information and Application Process
  • College Work Study
  • Financial Aid Forms
  • Types of Aid
  • Receiving Your Aid (Disbursement)

Additional Financial Aid Links

The Financial Aid Office is interested in helping you finance your education at Western Technical College. Here are additional financial aid links you may find helpful:

  • FAFSA Completion Help: Publication to help you complete the online or paper version of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
  • Federal Student Aid Information Center (FSAIC): The FSAIC staff can answer your federal student financial aid questions and give you all the help you need by calling (800) 4-FED-AID (800-433-3242) or TTY users (for the hearing impaired) at (800) 730-8913. Callers in locations with access to 1-800 numbers may call (319) 337-5665 (this is not a toll-free number)
  • Office of Inspector General Hotline: (800) MIS-USED (800-647-8733) or e-mail to to report student aid fraud (including identity theft), waste or abuse of U.S. Department of Education funds
  • Selective Service System: Check your selective service registration or register online. If you are a male, 19 through 25 and living in the U.S., then you must register with Selective Service
  • Student Aid on the Web: Your source for free information, guidance and tools from the U.S. Department of Education's office of Federal Student Aid
  • U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Outlook Handbook: Information on a wide range of career including salary information