Welcome to Assessment Services. Our goal is to provide a quiet, comfortable, and secure testing experience. Though our main responsibility is in proctoring Western’s placement tests, we also offer proctoring services for individuals residing locally who are enrolled in distance education programs or who need to complete professional exams . In addition, Person VUE/GED 2016 computer-based exams are administered in Western locations which are certified as Pearson VUE testing sites. We work with a variety of test sponsors and follow policies and procedures that ensure the confidentiality of test takers as well as the security of test content. In order to be admitted for testing, you will need to meet the following criteria:
- Provide proof of payment or fee waiver
- Show photo ID (any photo identification or high school yearbook photo)
- Only those registered to test are allowed in the testing area. No children or other family members will be allowed on site.
- All electronic devices need to be turned off and all personal belongings need to be outside of the testing room. This includes watches and all electronic devices.
Placement test scores in reading, sentence skills (writing), and math are admission requirements for most of Western’s Associate Degree and Technical Diploma programs. The preferred placement test is COMPASS, though ACT and ASSET scores are also accepted. Additional assessments may be required for placement into programs. It is recommended that you check with an advisor prior to scheduling an assessment if one of the following situations applies to you:
- If you have a bachelor's degree or have completed the COMPASS, ACT® or ASSET® exam within the last five years, you may not need to take the COMPASS test.
- If you have already taken a placement test but scored low in one or more of the subtest areas (Reading, English or Math), you may need to take a portion of the COMPASS exam to meet the required cut-score.
- Successful completion of some college coursework in the area of writing or math may eliminate the need to take these sections of the COMPASS test.