Receiving your Aid (Disbursement)

Receiving your Aid (Disbursement)

What is Disbursement?

Once payment of your fees has been made your remaining balance (if applicable) will be refunded to you either by direct deposit or mailed to you in the form of a check.  If financial aid does not completely cover your balance due, the Cashier's Office will send you an updated bill to your e-mail address.

If you do not have Direct Deposit set up, your remaining financial aid will be mailed in the form of a check to the address on file with the Registrar's office. Keep your address current with the Cashier's Office also.

Sign Up for eRefund (Direct Deposit)

If you would like to receive your financial aid and other refunds from Western via direct deposit instead of waiting for your check to arrive in the mail, please complete this Direct Deposit Authorization – Student Refunds form and return it to the Cashier’s Office located in the Welcome Center Room 163.

Preparing for your Financial Aid Disbursement

  • You must be in an eligible Program with Admissions.
  • If you are interested in receiving a student loan, please visit the Student Loan Center for additional information.
  • After you receive your award email, view your awards via Financial Aid Online Access. If you were awarded student loans or college work-study, you must Accept, Decline, or Reduce the amounts you were awarded. For assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Department.

Causes for Delay of Disbursement

To prevent a possible delay in your disbursement you will want to ensure that you don't have any of the following circumstances:

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress - You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards to receive financial aid.
  • Academic Suspension - You are not eligible for financial aid if you are suspended for academic reasons
  • Resources Not Yet Available - Some awards, such as a Parent PLUS Loan, may require processing time before funds are available to you. Make sure that you apply for such funds with time to allow processing or make other arrangements to pay your tuition, fees and/or books.
  • Keep Your Address Current by Updating Your MyWestern portal.(checks will not be forwarded by the Post Office)
  • Holds - A No Refunds Hold will not allow any refund to disburse via eRefund or paper check. To View Your Holds, please log into your MyWestern portal.
  • Certificate Programs are not eligible for Financial Aid (grants/student loans) - Refer to the Student Loan Center for possible funding options.

Enrollment Status

Your enrollment status will be reviewed prior to the first disbursement and your awards will be adjusted accordingly. If your enrollment status has changed as of the 10th day of the Semester at 4:00 p.m. (Date of Record) your Financial Aid Award Package will be Readjusted and Locked In based on your enrollment status as of this date. (After the Date of Record your aid package may be adjusted if classes are cancelled or if you drop a class that has not started.) You may owe a Repayment.

2013-2014 Dates of Record - 4:00 pm

  • Summer 2014 Semester - May 16, 2014
  • Fall 2014 Semester - September 5, 2014
  • Spring 2015 Semester - January 16, 2015
  • Summer 2015 Semester - May 22, 2015

Repeated Classes

If you retake a course for which you earned a C or better, contact the Financial aid Manager to determine if you are able to receive aid for this course again.

Auditing Courses

If you are enrolled to Audit a course you will not be eligible to receive aid for that course.

Developmental Coursework

If referred by a counselor, developmental coursework may be added to a student's credit load for financial aid purposes if the student maintains at least six regular college credits. Dropping or being dropped from a credit course (s) MAY require repayments of ALL or a portion of financial aid.

Note: You are not eligible to receive Financial Aid if you do not attend classes!

Some Common Questions

When does disbursement take place?

Students should start receiving their refunds (money left over from financial aid once all Western charges are paid) sometime during the fifth week of the Trimester and are processed weekly thereafter as students' files are completed.

When can I expect to receive my remaining financial aid award funds?

Once Financial Aid has been credited to your student account, please allow any refund amount 3-10 days (from the date posted to your student account) to be direct deposited or mailed in a check. Checks are not available for in-person pickup.

How do I pay for my books and supplies?

Click here for more information on book charging.

Who will be allowed to charge?

Any student who: (1) Has been sent an "Award email from Western's Financial Aid Office and who has been awarded financial aid, and (2) Will have money left over after the student's account balance is deduced from the finanical aid, and (3) Has granted Western permission to take the reaquired book/supply charges out of their financial aid.

What can a student charge?

Students, who meet the requirements can charge "required" books and "required" supplies up to the amount of financial aid and LESS any student account balance. If required books and supplies cost MORE than the financial aid monies left over after the student account balance is deducted from their financial aid, the student will be required to pay the difference when the books/supplies are given to the student.

When can students start charging at the Campus Shop?

Fall 2014: August 11, 2014 - September 5, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
Spring 2015: December 8, 2014 - January 16, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
Summer 2015: April 27, 2015 - May 22, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.

Can I receive financial aid from more than one school during a semester?

No! You may only receive financial aid from one school at a time. If you wish to attend more than one school within a semester, you may be eligible to participate in a Consortium Agreement with another school if the classes you are taking will transfer into your program here at Western. (If you will be receiving your degree from another school, please contact their Financial Aid Office for additional information.) Contact Financial Aid for additional information at 608.785.9579 or

What if I receive additional funding after my aid has been disbursed?

Your financial aid award package will be adjusted to include the additional funding. If your additional funding affects your existing award package, we may need to make adjustments which may require you to owe back funds that have already disbursed. You are responsible for notifying the Financial Aid Office of any outside funding (Americorp, DVR, scholarships, etc.) paid directly to you.

What if I am considering dropping one or more classes?

If you are considering adjusting your enrollment status (dropping or adding classes), please refer to Repayment of Aid for possible changes in your financial aid award package. You will also want to refer to Satisfactory Academic Progress to maintain eligibility for financial aid.