How to Apply for Financial Aid

How to Apply for Financial Aid

To apply for financial aid, students are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is used to determine eligibility for federal and state grants, work study, and student loans. A new FAFSA must be filed every school year.  The application is available on or after January 1 for the school year beginning in August.  Western's School Code is 003840.

It generally takes six to eight weeks to review and process a financial aid request. To ensure aid is processed in a timely manner, students should submit their FAFSA by our preferred filing date;

For students beginning in fall: April 15
For students beginning in spring: October 15
For students beginning in summer: February 15

Filing your FAFSA after the preferred filing date may result in the loss or reduction of state grants and an increase in processing time.

Please note, not all programs of study at Western Technical College are financial aid eligible. Certificates are typically not eligible for financial aid. Please contact our office with additional questions.

Applying for financial aid is Free!

Filing your FAFSA

Online (Preferred Method)

Mail Form

  • If a paper application is needed, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at or 608.785.9579.

To set up an appointment to complete the FAFSA with a financial aid advisor please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at or 608.785.9579.

Click HERE to learn more about completing the FAFSA.

Do I need to provide my parent’s information on the FAFSA?

Who is my parent when I complete the FAFSA?

When applying for financial aid, please choose the appropriate FAFSA year:

Trimester FAFSA Year
Summer 2015 2014-2015
Fall 2015 2015-2016
Spring 2016 2015-2016
Summer 2016 2015-2016
Fall 2016 2016-2017
Spring 2017 2016-2017
Summer 2017 2016-2017

To be considered for financial aid, the following items must be on file in the financial aid office:

  1. Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR). Western receives this electronic record from the Federal Processing Center when an applicant designates Western as the college s/he plans to attend on the FAFSA.
  2. Admission into an approved associate's degree, college transfer, or technical diploma program. Enrollment in courses without acceptance into an eligible program does not qualify a student for financial aid.
  3. When requested by the financial aid office, certain documents must be received in order for a financial aid award letter to be processed. These documents could consist of student/spouse federal income tax form, W-2's, and parental income tax returns and W-2's (where applicable).
  4. Upon receipt and verification of all documents, the student will receive an award letter.
  5. If your award letter includes Stafford loans, you must complete Entrance Loan Counseling and a Master Promissory Note. Vist the Student Loan Center for more information.

Applying for financial aid is FREE! Beware of scams! No student should ever pay money to apply for financial aid.