Receiving your Aid (Disbursement)

Receiving your Aid (Disbursement)

What is Disbursement?

Once payment has been made, your remaining balance (if applicable) will be sent to you either by direct deposit or mailed to you in the form of a check. It is your responsibility to keep your address current with Enrollment Services.  
If financial aid does not completely cover the amount due, you are responsible to pay the remaining balance.

Causes for Delay of Disbursement

To prevent a possible delay in your disbursement you will want to ensure that you don't have any of the following circumstances:

  • If you were awarded student loans or college work-study, you must Accept, Decline, or Reduce the amounts you were awarded. For assistance, please contact the Financial Aid Department.
  • You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards to receive financial aid.
  • Some awards, such as a PLUS Loan, may require processing time before funds are available to you. Make sure that you apply for such funds with time to allow processing or make other arrangements to pay your tuition, fees and/or books.
  • A Refund Hold will not allow any funds to disburse. To view your holds, please log into your MyWestern portal.

Enrollment Status

Your enrollment status will be reviewed prior to the first disbursement and your awards will be adjusted accordingly. If your enrollment status has changed as of the 10th day of the Semester at 4:00 p.m. (Date of Record) your Financial Aid Award Package will be recalculated and locked in based on your enrollment status as of this date. (After the Date of Record your aid package may be recalculated if classes are cancelled or if you drop a class that has not started.) You may owe a repayment.

Dates of Record - 4:00 pm

  • Summer 2015 – May 22, 2015
  • Fall 2015 - September 18, 2015
  • Spring 2016 - January 29, 2016
  • Summer 2016 - May 19, 2016

Repeated Classes
If you retake a course for which you earned a C or better, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid to determine if you are able to receive aid for this course again.

Auditing Courses
If you are enrolled to Audit a course you will not be eligible to receive aid for that course.

Developmental Coursework
If referred by a counselor, developmental coursework may be added to a student's credit load for financial aid purposes if the student maintains at least six regular college credits. Dropping or being dropped from a credit course (s) MAY require repayments of ALL or a portion of financial aid.

Some Common Questions

When does disbursement take place?

Students should start receiving their refunds (money left over from financial aid once all Western charges are paid) during the fifth week of the trimester and are processed weekly thereafter as students' files are completed.

When can I expect to receive my remaining financial aid award funds?

Once Financial Aid has been posted to your student account, please allow any refund amount up to 10 days (from the date posted to your student account) to be direct deposited or mailed in a check. You cannot pick up your check from the Cashiers Office.

How do I pay for my books and supplies?

Click here for more information on book charging.

Can I receive financial aid from more than one school during a trimester?

No! You may only receive financial aid from one school at a time. If you wish to attend more than one school within a trimester, you may be eligible to participate in a Consortium Agreement.  If the classes you are taking will transfer into your program here at Western, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for additional information at 608.785.9579 or

What if I receive additional funding after my aid has been disbursed?

Your financial aid award package will be adjusted to include the additional funding. If your additional funding affects your existing award package, we may need to make adjustments which may require you to owe back funds that have already disbursed. You are responsible for notifying the Office of Student Financial Aid of any outside funding paid directly to you.

What if I am considering dropping one or more classes?

If you are considering adjusting your enrollment status (dropping or adding classes), please refer to Repayment of Aid for possible changes in your financial aid award package. You will also want to refer to Satisfactory Academic Progress to maintain eligibility for financial aid.