• Location Overview
  • Programs Offered
  • Courses Offered
  • Services Offered
  • Directions


Courses and Classes Offered

For complete information about all courses that Western offers, please consult the MyWestern Course Catalog.

General Studies

Did you know that the Western in Mauston offers the same general education courses you can get elsewhere at a much lower cost? So aside from a great tuition rate and the opportunity to receive a first-rate education, you can save time and money on travel and gas.

General education courses you take at Western can transition easily into a variety of post-secondary institutions, such as the Wisconsin Technical College System, the University of Wisconsin System, and Viterbo University, depending on where you want to take your education and what your goals are! To learn more about the transfer agreements with other colleges and universities, visit the transfer website.

Community Education (Lifelong Learning/Personal Enrichment Education)

Community education is a series of offerings that are free and open to the public. These experiences are typically delivered by current Western students using their skills learned in the classroom. Academic experiences like these are terrific for connecting students’ academic learning with hands-on skill practice. Students retain information better when they practice or teach what they learned. These experiences will help our students grow academically while providing community members a service or educational experience.

If you have any questions about the changes to lifelong learning, please contact Kari Reyburn 608.789.4798, or at You can also visit the community education offerings at

Learner Support & Transition

Mauston Learner Support and Transition Contact Number: 608.847.7364

Western's Learner Support & Transition Program provides a broad range of basic skill and literacy services to adults. These services can help open the door to employment opportunities and further education. Services include:

  • Adult Basic Education (ABE)
  • Developmental Studies in mathematics, writing, and reading
  • High School Credential (GED Certificate, High School Equivalency Diploma (HSED) or regular high school diploma)
  • Workforce Education
  • English Language Learners (ELL)

For registration and course information, please see Western's developmental studies page.

For more information please go to our Learner Support & Transition website.

Other Offerings

Classes can be offered in three format options:

  • In person. Instructor and students meet in a traditional classroom or lab setting.
  • Interactive Distance Learning (IDL). Through cameras and microphones, students participate in classes that are also at other locations in the Western District.
  • Internet. Classes taken at any time of day, anywhere you live.