Western Technical College celebrates DisAbility Awareness Month
Published on Friday, October 02, 2009
In honor of October as DisAbilities Awareness month, Western Technical College DisAbility Support Specialist faculty and students, together with Western’s Diversity Taskforce, are sponsoring a series of events that are free and open to the public.
• “What is Autism?” Lunch and Learn, Tuesday, Oct. 6, 12:30-1:30 p.m., Health Science Center, Room 2015. Bring your lunch and listen to Mary Wirkus, DisAbility Support Specialist instructor, as she explains the basics of Autism Spectrum Disorder.
• Panel of family members of people with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Thursday, Oct. 8, 9:45-11:00 a.m., Health Science Center, Room 2019.
• Panel of guest speakers with Cerebral Palsy, Thursday, Oct. 15, 9:45-11:00 a.m., Health Science Center, Room 2019.
• Panel of guest speakers with seizure disorders, Tuesday, Oct. 20, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Health Science Center, Room 2019.
• DisAbility Sensitivity Training, Thursday, Oct. 22, 9:00-11:00 a.m., Health Science Center, Room 4022.
• Silent Luncheon (to appreciate the world of people with speech and/or hearing impairments), Thursday, Oct. 22, Noon-1:30 p.m., The Corner Bistro, Kumm Center, Room 109.
• DisAbility Sensitivity Training, Monday, Oct. 26, 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Western Kumm Center, TC Café.
• Panel of guest speakers with traumatic brain injuries, Tuesday, Oct. 27, 10:00-11:00 a.m., Health Science Center, Room 2019.
There will also be “End the R-Word Pledges” throughout the month, where individuals can sign a pledge form indicating that they will refrain from using the word “retard” or “retarded” as a sign of respect for people with disabilities.
Western’s DisAbility Support Specialist program is the only one of its kind in the state. It prepares graduates to give direct-service support to people with developmental disabilities in community settings.
For questions regarding Western’s DisAbility Awareness Month activities, call Denise Lorenz at 608.789.6272. For information about additional programs and services at Western Technical College, call 608.785.9200 or visit the Web site at westerntc.edu.