Western marketing students win awards at state conference
Published on Wednesday, April 07, 2010
Marketing students from Western Technical College recently received several top honors at the 2010 State Career Development Conference in Madison. The participating students are members of the La Crosse chapter of the Wisconsin Marketing and Management Association (WMMA), an international organization for college students.
Fifteen Western students attended the conference and participated in competitive events, which involved interviews, tests, role-plays, online simulations, and written project reports to evaluate students’ marketing and management skills. Top finishers included:
• Sarah Stone, from Arcadia, Wis., placed in the top eight for the Travel/Tourism Marketing written exam.
• Jeanna Seng, from Fennimore, Wis., placed eighth as an International Qualifier in the Human Resource Management category. She was also a WMMA scholarship award winner.
• From Holmen, Luke Anderson placed in the top eight in the International Qualifier in the Marketing Management category; and Matt Lund placed third for the Student of the Year Award, and in the Sales Management Meeting category received second for Written Exam and third for Overall Winner. Lund was also a WMMA scholarship award winner.
• Nate Monhaut, from Hastings, Minn., received three honors under the Retail Management category. He placed third in Role Play-Financial Analysis, eighth in Role Play-Product/Service, and sixth as an International Qualifier, and was a WMMA scholarship award winner.
• Sam Carlson, from La Crescent, Minn., had a great showing in the Food Service Restaurant Marketing category with eighth place in Role Play-Marketing Information Management, eighth in Role Play-Promotion, and in the top 13 as an International Qualifier.
• Andrea Olson, of La Crosse, was a standout in the Fashion Merchandising and Marketing Event category. She placed second in the written exam, third in Role Play-Product/Service Management, second in Role Play-Promotion, and second for Overall Winner.
• Adrion Shack, from Las Vegas, placed eighth in the written exam and 13th as an International Qualifier in the Food Service Restaurant Marketing category.
• Chad Ellickson, of Middleton, Wis., placed sixth in the written exam and second for Overall Winner in Marketing Management.
• Angela Canady, of McHenry, Ill., placed eighth in the Human Resource Management written exam.
• Brandon Hilton, from Owen, Wis., placed sixth in the written exam and as a national qualifier in the Sales Management Meeting category.
• Eric Gilardi, of Viroqua, Wis., represented Western well in the Hospitality/Tourism Marketing category. He placed second in the written exam, first in Role Play-Pricing/Promotion, second in Role Play-Marketing Information Management, and first as an Overall Winner.
In team events, Dan Joseph of Milwaukee, and Andy Hayes, of Marquette, Mich., placed sixth as International Qualifiers in Sports/Entertainment Marketing. Hayes was also elected the 2010/2011 WMMA State President.
The La Crosse chapter itself received first place honors for the Membership Award, the Civic Consciousness Award, and the Delta Epsilon Chi Diamond Award, as well as third place for the Chapter of the Year.
To learn more about Western’s Marketing program or additional programs and services, please call 608.785.9200 or visit the Web site at westerntc.edu.