Western marketing students win awards at state conference
Published on Thursday, April 05, 2007
Marketing students from Western Technical College recently received several top honors at the 2007 State Career Leadership Conference in Madison. The participating students are members of the La Crosse chapter of the Wisconsin Marketing and Management Association (WMMA), an international organization for college students.
Eighteen students attended the conference and participated in competitive events, which involved interviews, tests, role-plays, online simulations, and written project reports to evaluate students’ marketing and management skills. Top finishers included:
• From Holmen, Wis., Samantha Kottke placed fourth in Apparel and Accessories, and Andy Lee qualified in Sales Managers Meeting.
• Valerie Hornung of Sauk City, Wis. placed second place in Hospitality and Tourism and was a finalist for the Student of the Year Award.
• Jason Larsen of La Crosse, Wis. received second place in Sales Managers Meeting.
• Carly Burch of Ladysmith, Wis. placed third in Travel and Tourism.
• Matt Kennedy of Onalaska, Wis. placed 12th in Retail Management.
• From Richland Center, Wis. Corrie Gulsrud placed second in Apparel and Accessories, and Ryne Kajewski placed 11th in Marketing Management.
• Dan Krauss of Sparta, Wis. placed sixth in Human Resource-MDM.
• Bob Davidson of West Salem, Wis. placed third in Food Service Restaurant Marketing.
In team events, Trisha Besse of Caledonia, Minn. and Jill Drazkowski of La Crescent, Minn., placed first in Business Ethics. Zachary Dowell of Sparta, Wis. and Corissa Grundman of Harmony, Minn. placed second in International Marketing. Mandy Meyer of Cederburg, Wis. and Jaimie Witt of Holmen, Wis. placed 12th in Sports/Entertainment.
Two of the students were also elected to WMMA state officer positions for 2007-2008. Dan Krauss was elected as the Western Region vice president and Zachary Dowell was elected vice president of communications. The La Crosse chapter itself received second place for the Delta Epsilon Chi Award as well as third place for the chapter of the year.
To learn more about Western’s Marketing program or additional programs and services, please call 608.785.9200 or visit the Web site at westerntc.edu.