You must have a valid photo ID to check out materials. Western IDs are available at the Student Life Office in the Kumm Center, Room 100.
- Books: 21 days
- Magazines: Current issues, in-library use only; back issues, 7 days
- Reserves: In-library use only (limited to students and employees)
- DVDs: 7 days
- Laptops: 7 days (limited to students and employees)
Renewals may be made by phone – 608-785-9142, email – firstname.lastname@example.org, or logging into your account via the library catalog. Books, magazines, and DVDs may be renewed twice. Laptops cannot be renewed.
- In the library, a book return is located in the circulation desk.
- If you attend a regional location, ask front desk staff to return items via interoffice mail. Please note that it can take 3 to 7 business days for an item to reach the library, and you might need to renew materials before using this option.
You will receive notices regarding overdue items via email. Any item not returned after the lending period expires will be charged the full value of the item plus a $6.00 processing fee. Additionally, if an item is returned but damaged, you will be charged the replacement cost of the item, as well as the processing fee. Once an item has been billed a hold will be placed on a student’s record preventing checkouts, registering for classes, or receiving grades or transcripts.
When borrowing a laptop, students must agree to and sign the Library Laptop Borrower Agreement. Laptops must be returned directly to staff at the circulation desk with all pieces of equipment present. One day after a laptop is due, it is considered lost. The borrower will be charged the replacement cost, as well as the processing fee. Further, if the laptop is returned late, damaged, or deemed lost, the borrower will no longer be able to check out laptops until further notice.
- As a taxpayer-supported institution, the Western Library is open to the public. Due to limited resources, some services are restricted for student and employee use only.
- Anyone may use the books and magazines in the library.
- Members of the public may borrow items from the Western Library if the member is in good standing with a local public library that is part of the Winding Rivers Library System. In order to be added to the library’s circulation system and check out materials, individuals will need to bring their public library card, as well as a photo ID.