In 2010, Western embarked on an ambitious 10-year plan called Vision 2020 that will allow the college to create student pathways to success while maintaining the flexibility necessary to train future employees for future jobs.
Strategic Goals were created for the six Vision 2020 Areas of Focus and align with Western's measurable Key Results.
Area of Focus: Recruitment
Strategic Goal - Increase the annual number of people served.
Key Result - Increase the annual number of students served to 10,000 by 2020.
Objective 1: Align program/services with community businesses, secondary education organizations, and other stakeholder needs.
- Plan for and implement a college-wide enrollment management system
- Develop and implement Regional Learning Centers plan
- Create and implement career coaching in the high schools to help students develop education and career pathways, and assist in applying to College
- Develop high school academies to provide high school students with the opportunity to earn both high school and college credit while in high school, and to explore career fields
- Expand transcripted credit so that high school students can earn high school and college credit at the same time
- Hire a designated adult recruiter to work with businesses and organizations to inform adults of the educational opportunities at Western
- Develop an overall recruitment plan
Objective 2: Respond to new and emerging trends in programming.
- Institutionalize environmental scanning
Area of Focus: Retention
Strategic Goal - Increase academic success of students.
Key Result - Increase C or better course completion by 1% per year through 2020.
Objective 1: Design curriculum and delivery methods to meet needs of 2020 students.
- Transition to a three semester system
- Maximize the hours and days the College provides course offerings
- Increase simulation/virtual labs
- Provide educational experiences through learning/living labs
Area of Focus: Learning
Strategic Goal - Increase the academic success of students
Key Result - Increase C or better course completion by 1% per year through 2020
Objective 1: Create career and educational pathways where appropriate.
- Standardize classrooms and technology
- Develop cross discipline academic centers which reflect the workplace
- Shorten completion time for selected programs
- Implement contextualized development Adult Basic Education instruction
- Align development education courses with career courses for improved transition and Credit for Prior Learning
- Implement Project Proven and Proven to Work to assist adults with criminal history to prepare and transition to college and employment
- Providing Credit for Prior Learning options to adult students and veterans
- Transition to Accuplacer for course placement and reduce barriers for program entrance
Objective 2: Implement strategies that will promote student engagement to improve retention.
- Grow service learning
- Pilot a retention coaching model
- Increase the programming and services to residence hall students
Objective 3: Move toward all employees having a balance of strengths through policy, process, practice and staff development.
- Define and develop a leadership philosophy
- Provide ongoing professional development in the technology area to keep all staff current
- Many areas of the College are using the Gallup Strengthsfinder
Area of Focus: Satisfaction
Strategic Goal - Improve Stakeholder satisfaction
Key Result - Score higher than 90% of peer groups in satisfaction
Objective 1: Implement employee engagement policies and procedures
- Use College values to describe expectations wherever appropriate
- Develop policies, processes, and practices that support all employees developing balance in their work
- Set future direction for employee health and wellness programming
- Create HEART (Human Engagement and Recognition Team)
- Develop a staff innovation/resource center
- Research and choose and new employee perspective survey
- Create an emergency/risk management system where all staff participate in personal and student safety
- Continue to measure student success through SSI
- Implement the use of CCSSE to measure student engagement
Objective 2: Identify and implement consistent operational processes when working with employees.
- Centralize the hiring process and reflect the diversity of our community
- Handbook revisions
Objective 3: Maintain and promote positive labor management relations.
- Focus labor management relations toward common goals through continuous improvement and communication
Objective 4: Implement strategies that will promote student development and engagement.
- Expand face to face services through use of technology
- Consider more student housing (townhouses, single parent)
- Implement a complaint/ concern/ compliment submission and tracking method
Area of Focus: Financial Resources
Strategic Goal - Provide affordable, high quality education
Key Result - Reduce indirect and direct cost per credit hour by 5% by 2020
Objective 1: Provide affordable education to our students.
- Decrease student loan indebtedness
- Grow the number of scholarships available for students
Objective 2: Commit to sustainability in College operations.
- Meet or exceed LEED Silver standards for all new and existing buildings
- Implement people-oriented energy management savings map
Objective 3: Commit to regional strategies in sustainability.
- Buy and invest regionally
- Hold vendors/partners/suppliers to the College's sustainability standards and expectations
- Founding member of the Sustainability Institute
- Founding member of Get Growing
Objective 4: Establish financial sustainability.
- Broaden community support to help the College meet its challenges
- Implement energy mitigation strategy
- Align Western strategic plan with the Foundation strategic plan
- Balance auxiliary services' budgets
- Balance staffing levels and total compensation with available revenue
Area of Focus: Systems
Strategic Goal - Improve stakeholder satisfaction
Key Result - Score higher than 90% of peer groups in satisfaction
Objective 1: Utilize high tech, high touch to free up resources to focus on student and employee engagement.
- Identify, prioritize, and move forward to automate key business processes
Objective 2: Drive decisions through knowledge management.
- Establish standardized data systems and processes
Objective 3: Provide technology that is end user based and supports an anywhere, anytime, anyone, affordable philosophy.
- Develop a utility plan for software
- Utilize new technology to expand access to information and people
Objective 4: Identify and implement improvement and efficiencies within college systems.
- Complete a system analysis of core business
- Research and formulate a centralized scheduling system
- Develop and implement a utility system for all college equipment