For more information on sustainability at Western, please contact:
Western offers a bike share program for faculty and staff who need to travel across campus for meetings or to go for a ride during a break. Western has teamed up with a local business, Wrench and Roll, to purchase and maintain four bikes, parked at the racks outside of the Integrated Technical Center, Physical Plant, and Coleman. To use the bikes, you simply sign this waiver once and submit it to email@example.com. Be sure to pick up a helmet (or bring your own) and lock key from the front office of the building where the bike is parked.
Commuting by Bicycle
Not only can commuting by bicycle be a lot of fun, but it also benefits your health, keeps harmful greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere, and saves you money. Western makes commuting by bike easy.
- Secure bike racks are located outside each building.
- Shower facilities for bicycle commuters are available in the Integrated Technology Center and the Administrative Center.
- A bike fixing station, complete with tools needed for basic repairs and an air pump, is located near the south entrance of the Integrated Technology Center.
Other resources for bicycle commuters:
- Wisconsin Bike Fed offers information that can help keep you safe and having fun on your bike.
Electric Car Charging Stations
Western has installed two Level-2 ChargePoint® charging stations for electric cars, located in the Southeast corner of Lot B. Anyone with a Western parking pass and ChargePoint account can use the charging station free of charge.
Public Transportation - La Crosse MTU and SMRT Bus
Riding the bus is easy and, for Western students and employees, free! Simply show your valid student or employee ID when you get on, sit back, and enjoy the stress-free commute.
- The SMRT Bus is a commuter bus system providing connections to Prairie du Chien, La Crosse, Viroqua, Tomah, and additional cities and villages in Crawford, Vernon, and La Crosse counties. Busses are equipped with bike carriers and wireless internet.
- The La Crosse MTU provides safe and convenient public transportation services to La Crosse, French Island, a portion of Onalaska, and La Crescent, Minn. Busses are equipped with bike carriers and most routes operate seven days a week.