For more information on sustainability at Western, please contact:
Western Technical College is excited to be an inaugural sponsor of the Drift Cycle public bike share program in La Crosse. Drift Cycle includes 50 bicycles housed at 10 stations around Downtown La Crosse (including one in front of Western’s Student Success Center) intended for visitors, commuters, and community members to take short trips throughout the city.
Drift Cycle bike share provides a more sustainable transportation option for residents with affordable memberships. Western students and employees receive 50% off of memberships if they use their western email address to sign up!
Cyclists can access bikes by downloading the Drift Cycle app (see QR codes in flyer), creating an account using a valid credit card, and scanning a QR code on the bike. No credit card or smartphone? Contact Western’s Director of Sustainability to learn about how you can access the bike share system.
To get you started, enjoy your first ride on us! Simply enter the promo code 57WLZ7.
Watch this video to learn how to register and rent for the first time.
Watch this video to learn how to end your rental and lock up your bike.
View this flyer to find bike station locations, pricing, and QR codes for the Drift Cycle app.
For more information about rates and station locations, check out the Drift Cycle website at http://lacrosseneighborhoods.org/drift/.
Still have questions? See these FAQs about the Drift Cycle bike share program.
Commuting by Bicycle
Not only can commuting by bicycle be a lot of fun, but it also benefits your health, keeps harmful greenhouse gasses out of the atmosphere, and saves you money. Western makes commuting by bike easy.
- Secure bike racks are located outside each building.
- Shower facilities for bicycle commuters are available in the Integrated Technology Center and the Administrative Center.
- A bike fixing station, complete with tools needed for basic repairs and an air pump, is located near the south entrance of the Integrated Technology Center.
Other resources for bicycle commuters:
- Wisconsin Bike Fed offers information that can help keep you safe and having fun on your bike.
Electric Car Charging Stations
Western has installed two Level-2 ChargePoint® charging stations for electric cars, located in the Southeast corner of Lot B. Anyone with a Western parking pass and ChargePoint account can use the charging station free of charge.
Public Transportation - La Crosse MTU and SMRT Bus
Riding the bus is easy and, for Western students and employees, free! Simply show your valid student or employee ID when you get on, sit back, and enjoy the stress-free commute.
- The SMRT Bus is a commuter bus system providing connections to Prairie du Chien, La Crosse, Viroqua, Tomah, and additional cities and villages in Crawford, Vernon, and La Crosse counties. Busses are equipped with bike carriers and wireless internet.
- The La Crosse MTU provides safe and convenient public transportation services to La Crosse, French Island, a portion of Onalaska, and La Crescent, Minn. Busses are equipped with bike carriers and most routes operate seven days a week.