Earn College Credit | Western Technical College

Earn College Credit in High School

Each year, hundreds of students in our district take advantage of Western's dual credit options to earn college credit while still in high school. That way, when you get to Western, you won’t have to retake something you already took in high school - saving you time and money! Plus, it's a great way to explore careers before you commit. Read more about the available opportunities below.

Start College Now

Start College Now is a program that allows eligible high school juniors and seniors to take courses during the school year either on Western’s campus, online, or through distance learning.  You can even earn dual credit from your high school and Western for these courses. Your Western Admissions Coach can assist in determining appropriate courses. 

Students must be enrolled in a public high school, have completed 10th grade with good academic standing, meet course prerequisites, have written approval from a parent or guardian, and have an acceptable disciplinary record.

The school district is responsible for tuition, course fees, and books for approved Start College Now courses that are not comparable to courses offered at the high school.

Important Application Deadlines

Application must be submitted to the high school by the following dates.

  • March 1 for fall term
  • October 1 for spring term

Start College Now FAQs

For additional information, contact Caitlin Locy at locyc@westerntc.edu or 608-789-9022.

Release of Student Information

You have certain rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) concerning your school records. All other student information (excluding directory information) will be treated as confidential information and is subject to disclosure requirements.  This means that student information (excluding directory information) may not be released to anyone without your written consent.

To release your student records to your parents, guardians, or anyone else, please complete the Release of Student Information Form.

High School Academies

High school academies create partnerships between Western and area high schools to provide opportunities for students to get exposure to career options and receive college credit for rigorous coursework. Academies are designed to meet high school needs through strategic course offerings, recognized industry credentials, embedded technical diplomas, or when possible, up to a full term of Western program courses. Content for high school academies is driven by school district interest and often connects with business and community needs.

Current Academy

Transcripted Credit

Transcripted credit courses are Western courses taught at your high school by your high school teacher. Once you enroll in and successfully complete the course, you will receive dual credit from your high school and Western. In fact, you will even have a Western student ID and transcript when you are done.

Check out the transcripted credit agreements in place with your high school.

Advanced Standing

Advanced Standing agreements are created between Western and your high school. Your high school teacher teaches the course at your school, just like a regular class. Once you successfully complete the course, you become eligible to receive advanced standing credit. Credits are granted when you pursue an associate degree or technical diploma at Western or another technical college in Wisconsin. Advanced Standing credit must requested during the admissions process, prior to registration. 

Check out the advanced standing agreements in place with your high school.

Advanced Placement (AP) Exams

AP courses are administered through local high schools, and the exams are created by an outside testing agency, CollegeBoard. AP exams are the final step you take after successful completion of an AP course. If your school offers AP courses, contact your AP coordinator to register for the exam(s). Western Technical College currently accepts 17 of the 38 AP exams available. For more information, visit the Standardized Exams page.