Some students find they need additional funds beyond their grant and Federal Direct Loan eligibility to meet their expenses while attending college. Private Education Loans can be used for any education-related expenses including tuition, books, transportation and room and board. The amount of the Private Education Loans you will qualify for is limited to your cost of attendance minus all other financial aid. Western REQUIRES students to file the FAFSA and exhaust all grant and Federal Direct Loan eligibility before borrowing a Private Education Loan, as the terms and conditions of Federal Direct Loans are generally more favorable than those of Private Education Loans. By law, your lender will require you to complete the Private Education Loan Applicant Self-Certification form.
- Complete the FAFSA.
- If you are a dependent student, please consider the PLUS loan before applying for a Private Education Loan.
- Contact Western’s Financial Aid Resources and Planning Services at 608-785-9579 to determine if you have eligibility for a Private Education Loan BEFORE applying.
- Before applying for a private loan, consider the questions in this PDF.
- After reading the above, apply for your Private Education Loan.
- Complete Consumer Credit Counseling, prior to the Private Education Loan being disbursed.
- Sign up for Direct Deposit.
- Check your Western e-mail account for important messages.
- Check your MyFinAid account for financial aid information.
Some programs at Western are not eligible for financial aid, specifically some certificate programs. If you are enrolled in a non-eligible program, and have no other funding resources, please contact Western's Financial Aid Resources and Planning Services to discuss your potential Private Education Loan options. Some non-financial aid eligible certificate programs include, but may not be limited to:
- Central Service Technician - 11 credits
- CNA - Skilled Nursing Assistant - 3 credits
- EMT - Advanced - 4 credits
- EMT - Basic - 4 credits
- Phlebotomy - Internal Certificate - 3 credits