Federal Direct Parental Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) Loans
PLUS Loans are federally guaranteed loans that parents may obtain to help pay for the cost of education for their dependent student. Certain credit conditions apply, and a credit check is required. PLUS Loan funds are first applied to the student's account balance due at Western, and any PLUS Loan funds left over after the student's balance is paid will be mailed directly to the PARENT.
If a PLUS Loan application is denied due to adverse credit, loan counseling can be completed to override the credit decision. Parents will be made aware of this at the time the Loan Agreement for a Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan (MPN) is completed. The loan counseling can be competed at studentloans.gov. If the parent chooses to NOT complete the additional loan counseling, then the student borrower can choose to have an additional Unsubsidized Loan amount added to their awards. Please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid at 608-785-9579 for more information.
- Student: Complete entire Financial Aid Process.
- Parent: Complete PLUS Loan Request Form for 2018-19 and return to the Financial Aid Office
- Parent: Complete Loan Agreement for a PLUS Loan (MPN).
- Student: If PLUS loan is denied, contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
- Parent: If you would like to defer PLUS loan payments, please fill out the Parent PLUS Borrower Deferment Request Form.
- Student: Check your Western e-mail account for important messages.
- Student: Check your Western Financial Aid account to ensure the PLUS Loan has been added to your awards.