Life Resources | Western Technical College

Life Resources

Being a college student is challenging, and right now things are more challenging than ever. To continue focusing on your school, career, and graduation goals, you may need resources for yourself or your family. There are a number of them available here at Western as well as within the La Crosse and surrounding communities. Click the county names to find resources in your area:

Western staff members are here to help you navigate the options, including those for food, child care, housing, transportation, health, and much, much more. If you would like personal help, please complete the online form and a Western expert will be in touch with you in 2-3 business days.

Cavalier Cupboard - Food Pantry

This food pantry is designed to meet the immediate food needs of Western students by providing them with access to perishable and non-perishable food items, hygiene items, school items, diapers, and information on local resources. This service is open to all Western students with a valid student ID. Learn More about the Cavalier Cupboard.

Child Care Services

The YWCA provides child care services on Western's La Crosse Campus. Located at 419 9th Street North, the YWCA Child Center is open to Western faculty, staff, and students, as well as the general public. Full- or part-time care is provided for children ages 6-weeks to 5 years old.

To learn more about the YWCA childcare program, visit the YWCA website or contact:
Sharon Engh
Child Center Director
419 9th Street North
La Crosse, WI 54601
Phone: 608-785-9541

Emergency Funding

If you experience an unexpected financial hardship, Emergency Funding is available. Covered expenses may include dependent care, gas, background checks, limited tuition, medical expenses, utilities, vehicle repairs, food, and housing. Please complete the Student Resource Request form to apply for this funding.

COVID Resources

Food Assistance

You may now be able to receive assistance paying for food and other groceries from the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), more commonly known as FoodShare. If you live in Wisconsin, you can apply here for this program and others. SNAP benefits recently expanded to include many more college students.

Housing Expenses

Eligible households may receive assistance with rent, energy or utility bills, and other housing costs dating back to the start of the pandemic. This is provided by the Wisconsin Emergency Rental Assistance (WERA) program.

If you live in La Crosse, Crawford, Monroe, or Vernon County, your agency is Couleecap. Head here to learn about and apply for the Rental Assistance program.

If you live in another county in Wisconsin, find out what agency you should contact by heading here.

Minnesota residents, visit Minnesota Housing for information on similar resources available to you.

Do you care for a child? You may be eligible for new funding.

The federal government just released a new financial credit for 2021. It's actually an increase to the usual child tax credit and can be paid out even before you complete your income taxes. Every month, eligible households will receive payments up to $300 for each child younger than 6 and up to $250 for each child age 6 to 17. This amount is half of the total income tax credit; the payments to from July 15, 2021 to Dec. 15, 2021.

You will automatically receive this money if you filed a 2019 or 2020 tax return and claimed the Child Tax Credit on the return, or if you provided your information in 2020 to receive the stimulus payments (Economic Impact Payments) as a non-tax filer.

If you haven't done either of the above and you think you are eligible for this payment (perhaps had a child since filing 2020 taxes or didn't file due to income level), then you should complete the Child Tax Credit Non-filer Sign-up Tool.

This credit is part of the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) of 2021, expanding the Child Tax Credit (CTC) for the tax year 2021 only.

Lawyers for Learners

Don’t let legal problems keep you from achieving your goals, like going to school or getting a job. You can get free, confidential legal help through Lawyers for Learners. Get started today!

Contact Us

If you would like help navigating these resources, complete the online request form.