Financial Aid FAQs | Western Technical College

Financial Aid FAQs

COVID-19 Financial Aid FAQs

View our frequently asked questions pertaining to financial aid and COVID-19.

When does disbursement take place?

You should start receiving your refund (money left over from financial aid once all Western charges are paid) during the fifth week of the trimester. Disbursements are processed weekly thereafter as students' files are completed.

Students who are first-year, first-time Direct Loan borrowers must wait 30 days into the term to receive their student loans. Students who are at Western for one term only or have a loan originated for one term must receive their Direct Loan and/or PLUS Loan in two disbursements.

When can I expect to receive my remaining financial aid award funds?

Once Financial Aid has been posted to your student account, please allow any refund amount up to 10 days (from the date posted to your student account) to be direct deposited or mailed in a check. You cannot pick up your check from the Cashiers Office.

What would cause a delay in my disbursement?

To prevent a possible delay in your disbursement you will want to ensure that you don't have any of the following circumstances:

  • If you were awarded grants, student loans, or work-study, you must Accept, Decline, or Reduce the amounts you were awarded. For assistance, please contact the Office of Student Financial Aid.
  • If you accepted loans, you must have completed the Entrance Counseling and the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
  • You must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards to receive financial aid.
  • Some awards, such as a PLUS Loan, may require processing time before funds are available to you. Make sure that you apply for such funds with time to allow processing, or make other arrangements to pay your tuition, fees and/or books.
  • A Refund Hold will not allow any funds to disburse. Visit your MyWestern portal to view your holds.

How do I pay for my books and supplies?

See Charging Books for details.

Can I receive financial aid from more than one school during a trimester?

No. You may only receive financial aid from one school at a time. If you wish to attend more than one school within a trimester, you may be eligible to participate in a “Consortium Agreement” if the classes you are taking will transfer into your program here at Western. Contact the Office of Student Financial Aid for additional information at 608-785-9579 or

What if I receive additional funding after my aid has been disbursed?

Your financial aid award package will be adjusted to include the additional funding. If the additional funding affects your existing award package, we may need to make adjustments, which may require you to owe back funds that have already disbursed. You are responsible for notifying the Office of Student Financial Aid of any outside funding paid directly to you.

What if I am considering dropping one or more classes?

If you are considering adjusting your enrollment status (dropping or adding classes), please refer to the 2019-2020 Information for possible impacts to your financial aid award package. You will also want to refer to Satisfactory Academic Progress to maintain eligibility for financial aid.

Contact us