Contact Western to get credit for your prior learning.
Challenge exams are written by Western Technical College faculty specifically for its students. The exams are equivalent to the comprehensive final exam and may be written, oral, demonstration, or a combination of all three. You can show the level of knowledge you have acquired in different subject areas by taking a Challenge Exam and potentially earning credit for class equivalency. Not all Challenge Exams are available for every course.
- A passing score of a “C” or better is needed to be granted credit at Western Technical College. Challenge Exams are graded as pass/fail, and if you successfully pass, the grade of “CR” (credit) is shown on your transcript and is not used to calculate the GPA. If you have not achieved a satisfactory score on a Challenge Exam you can retake the same exam after a one-year waiting period.
- A non-refundable fee of $50 per exam for a 1-2 credit course; a non-refundable fee of $100 per exam for a 3+ credit course; free for active military personnel. Service members will have to personally fund a retest, if applicable.
- Completion time varies between exams.
- If you are enrolled in the course, the Challenge Exam must be taken within seven business days of the start of the course. If you pass the Challenge Exam, it is your responsibility to officially drop the course. You may be eligible for a program/material fee refund/deduction based on Western Technical College’s refund policy.
- View a list of Challenge Exams.
4 Easy Steps to Take a Challenge Exam
- Contact the Adult Learning Specialist to confirm eligibility and help with preparing for the exam: CPL@westerntc.edu; 608-785-9441.
- Complete the Credit for Prior Learning form and pay the assessment fee at the Cashier’s Office.
- Once payment has been made, contact the Assessment Center and arrange a time to complete the exam:
2nd floor of the Academic Resource Center, Room 200
608-785-9566 or firstname.lastname@example.org
You must show the completed Credit for Prior Learning form to the Assessment Center proctor, with payment noted, in order to take the Challenge Exam.
- Upon completing the exam, it will be graded and you will be notified of the results within two weeks.