Mechanically inclined? Like solving problems? If so, you might find a career as an automotive technician challenging as well as rewarding. With a focus on hands-on experiences in this technical diploma program, you’ll learn to diagnose and repair problems in engines, drive trains, brakes, electrical systems, steering, suspension, transmission systems as well as hybrid and alternative fuel systems. Coursework covers the basics of operating an automotive repair business. You’ll learn skills that will help you communicate with customers and gain valuable experience by making repairs on student and faculty vehicles in an actual shop.
The program prepares you for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification. Graduates find jobs in car dealerships, independent repair shops, and other related areas.
Classes are held at Western's state-of-the-art Automotive Facility, located in La Crosse's industrial park, 2721 Larson Street. Check our interactive map for specific location information.
Program instructors accept vehicle work from the public that fits with the topic they are covering in class. To apply for this service, complete the Automotive Repair Request Form.
Estimated Program Cost
This program will cost about $10,100* based on tuition and basic program fees. There may be additional fees for books, materials, and testing. For more information on tuition costs, visit the Tuition Page.
* Tuition and fees are subject to change.
- Living responsibly
- Refining professionalism
- Cultivating passion
- Demonstrate professionalism appropriate for the auto service industry
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive internal combustion engines
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive automatic transmission/transaxle systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive manual drive train and axle systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive steering and suspension systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive brake systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive electrical and electronic systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive heating and air conditioning systems
- Perform diagnosis, service, and repair of automotive engine performance systems
Software and Technology
Most of Western’s classes require the use of a personal computer or laptop, standard software, internet access, and other technology-related items.
If you do not have a personal computer or laptop, or if the one you have does not meet the following criteria, resources may be available. Submit a Student Resource Request using our online form.
- Smartphones are not recommended for completing assignments.
- Chromebooks are not recommended due to issues with installing software that is needed for classes, such as Office 365.
- Web camera with microphone (usually built into newer laptops or can be purchased separately) is necessary for online participation.
- Western uses the Blackboard Learning Management System. Some courses may use Zoom or Microsoft Teams to meet and work virtually. Visit our website for guidance on how to access and use these tools.
- Office 365 (available to download for free once you have a student email)
- Recommended web browsers: Chrome or Firefox
For detailed specifications, please review Technology and Software Recommendations for Most Classes on Western’s IT Knowledgebase.
- Western has several computer labs available. Visit our website to find open hours and locations on the La Crosse campus. Or find information on how to access resources on our Regional Locations web page.
- The Learning Commons has computers, webcams, and microphones available for in-house use. Our librarians recommend checking your local public library for computer access on the weekends. Staff members can also provide information on free, off-campus Wi-Fi spots. Contact them at LearningCommons@westerntc.edu or call 608-785-9198.
- Contact the Learning Commons! The staff are happy to answer questions, provide individualized assistance, and direct you to other supports as needed.