Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Services, housed in the Multicultural Center across from the library, provides services designed to be helpful to students who identify as minority or as members of other groups traditionally underserved by higher education. All are welcome, whether currently enrolled or thinking about enrolling in Western programs or classes.
- A welcoming drop-in environment with snacks and coffee
- Assistance with college registration, scholarship applications, and financial aid forms
- Personalized academic and social/emotional support
- Referral to campus and community resources
- Computers available for student use
- Social and educational events
- Other services promoting academic and career success
Western’s current strategic plan places equity, inclusion, and support at the center of the College’s key commitments. The following language is excerpted from the College’s Experience 2025 strategic plan.
Equity, Inclusion, and Support
Western is committed to providing students from all backgrounds and academic levels an accessible, inclusive, and equitable learning environment that results in credential attainment. Western and its employees are committed to Every Student, Every Day.
- Every employee, regardless of position or title, is obligated to help create accessible, inclusive, and equitable conditions for student success.
- Teaching should be inclusive of all cultures and backgrounds and appropriate to the needs, abilities, and aspirations of each student.
- Students’ self-efficacy is increased by balancing academic rigor with compassionate support, effective teaching methods, and a precise focus on career-relevant topics and skills.
- Academic, social, and emotional assistance should not be stigmatizing. Success achieved with support is still success.
The College’s Equity Plan details the vision, the core professional qualities, and the core strategies that drive the College’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts, along with the actions Western will take in the next several years to fulfill its promise of Experience 2025: exemplary, equitable access and success for all students – with a special focus on populations traditionally underserved by higher education. The following language is excerpted from the College’s Equity Plan:
Western Technical College students from all backgrounds, identities, and ethnicities achieve at the same high rate of success.
Core Professional Qualities for Equity, Inclusion, and Support
We pursue this vision through:
- Continuous improvement of professional skills.
- Steadfast belief in the potential of every student.
- A commitment to honor and nurture each student’s potential for college and career success.
- A nonjudgmental lens of kindness, humility, optimism, professionalism, and perseverance.
- Unconditional positive regard for every student, every day.