For more information about the Nursing Petition Process, contact a College Advisor below or schedule an appointment by calling the Welcome Center at 608-785-9553. Advisors are assigned by the first letter of your last name:
Western Technical College has implemented a streamlined application process for the Nursing Associate Degree program.
If you’re interested in completing the Nursing program, you can start the process by applying for admission to the college. Once admitted to the college, qualified applicants will be accepted as a Nursing Pre-Major student. Students are then selected for entry into core program courses through a Petition Process.
As part of the process, applicants are responsible for submitting official high school transcripts, college transcripts, or test scores that show completion of all course requirements as specified below. Coursework must be completed or in-progress prior to beginning the petition process.
Admission and petition requirements are subject to change; please review the requirements prior to submitting your application or petition.
Summer 2020 petition window: February 3-7, 2020
ACCUPLACER for Admission to the College
Western uses ACCUPLACER to measure abilities in reading, sentence skills, and arithmetic. This information will be used to place you in courses that best fit your academic goals. Based on your scores, you may need to take additional general studies course(s) along with the general studies courses required for your program.
Several options for waiving the ACCUPLACER test are available; view the waivers here.
Learn more about placement tests and how they are used at Western: Placement Testing.
The Testing of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) Exam
The TEAS Exam measures basic essential skills in the academic content areas of reading, mathematics, science and English language usage. You must successfully complete the TEAS Exam with a score of 60 or greater.
Additional TEAS Information and Testing Schedule.
(Note: Do not take this test until you have completed your required sciences.)
After completing the prerequisite and admissions testing requirements, you will need to complete the following course requirements:
- For all courses, a grade of C or better is required; a grade of C- will NOT be accepted.
- Completion of the Wisconsin Department of Health approved Nursing Assistant Course. This requires a minimum of 120 hours of instruction and must include a clinical component. Proof of certification as a Nursing Assistant (CNA) may also fulfill this requirement.
- English 1 (10801136) OR Written Communication (10801196)
- Oral/Interpersonal Communications (10801196) OR Speech (10801198)
- General Anatomy and Physiology (10806177)
- Advanced Anatomy and Physiology 2 (10806179)
- Microbiology (10806197)
- Introduction to Psychology (10809196)
- Developmental Psychology (10809188)
- Introduction to Sociology (10809196)
- Five credits of elective courses
In order to petition, students must attend a mandatory “Thrive to Survive” workshop. Find dates and registration information at: www.westerntc.edu/thrive
Read the Nursing Associate Degree Program Supplemental Information and the list of Nursing Essential Functions.